Saturday, June 30, 2007

I am preparing for my first wedding of the summer at the moment. And by preparing, I mean sitting in Panera, people watching and trying to figure out where I should re-locate to put on appropriate wedding attire. And, at the moment, the Panera bathroom is looking like the best option... should be a fun surprise for the Panera patrons, as I go in in my rags, and come out dressed for a feast. And the music in the background appropriately plays Unforgettable...

What does it say about weddings, that we get all dressed up for them? Do we need to? Would the ceremony not take place if I wore my hole-ly jeans (as opposed to my holy ones!)? No, of course not. But we dress up, because we recognize the occasion of marriage as special. Even sacred. Same thing as we live out Christian lives. We are saved by grace, not works. But because we see God's holiness, we live out our salvation through changed lives. Our earthly attire gradually reflects the grace which we have been offered. God gives us the robes to wear. We just choose to wear them more frequently...

No comments: