Monday, December 1, 2008

Family. Culture. Heritage.

I spent Thanksgiving with my family in Virginia... a few things I observed on my heritage and culture:
  • My family is very proud of our ethnic heritage. I am 1/8 Norwegian, 1/8 Swedish, 1/8 Scottish, 5/8 German. And I am told repeatedly of our history... the great-grandfather who fought in the Civil War... the great-great-great-something grandfather who fought in the Revolutionary war... the great grandmother and great great grandparents who immigrated and made a life for themselves here, out of nothing. The sketchy great-great grandfather who, at age 50 married a 25 year old and had 8 children. This is my heritage. My family is proud of it; I was raised on these stories. I was raised to be proud of my heritage.
My culture is Southern, American, White, with a lot of German-Scandinavian influences:
  • We avoid conflict face-to-face, although talking about it behind someone's back, raising a "concern about someone," happens far too often.
  • Sometimes there is a false veneer of "politeness" and "niceness."
  • Male dominance and superiority, deference to male leadership is assumed. Women are supposed to be the domestic, hospitable, gentle ones. Their place is in the kitchen.
  • Race tends to be talked about in a negative light.
  • Education is highly, sometimes overly, valued.
  • We value music highly.
  • We hug a lot.
  • Laughter and tears flow freely, for both men and women.
  • We show that we care by feeding people and showing hospitality.
  • Hard work is highly valued, as is frugality and timeliness.
  • We are always there for one another, no matter what, even if we don't like the other person, or agree with what they're doing. Why? Because we're family and family is more important than anything.
  • Money is always shared between family members. We help each other out.
There are parts of my culture which are good and Godly. There are other parts which are distorted by sin. But this is my heritage... and it is my culture. And both affect who I am, and how I relate to and care for others...

No comments: