Wednesday, March 11, 2009

the plant that never dies...

So I have this plant which I like to call some variation of "resurrection plant," "indestructible fern," "the-plant-which-never-dies," or "the ha-ha-kill-me-if-you-can plant." It's a normal green fern-type plant; very mundane, does not appear to have extraordinary qualities from an external perspective. But, like in all things, looks can be deceiving...

Those of you who know me well know that I can be pretty forgetful at times. So, while in reality, my thumb is pretty darn green (thanks, mom for the great gardening education), my forgetfulness often nullifies the effectiveness of the green thumb.

Translation: I am a repeat-offender plant murderer because I forget to water them. In 6 years of owning house plants, unless you count the fake plastic ones, not one has fully survived. Until this year.

See, this resurrection plant is very very wonderful for people like me. Every 3-4 days, it completely wilts down (we're talking flat on the bookshelf, people). I'm used to this state of plants. Normally, I would attempt to water it and then say a quick eulogy, because plants in this state ordinarily would be on the fast track to the happy miracle grow land. Yet, somehow, this freakish plant, when watered, instantly resurrects. It is incredibly forgiving. Within a few hours, it is upright, green, and very much alive. Even this past week, when I was out of town for 10 whole days and forgot to water it for that entirety... the wilted, dead plant is now fully alive again.

And the crazy thing is... because miracle plant is so obvious and predictable in telling me when it needs water, when I water it, I remember to water the other two plants on my desk. So, not only do I have one happy vibrant plant, I actually have three happy vivacious plants.

What's the take-home here? I'm not entirely sure, yet. God is not forgetful like I am. He does not forget to care for his children. But he does delight for us to ask for his living water... He doesn't force it on us...

Here's my thought: my plant is incredibly good at telling me when it needs water (it always wilts down). One drought of water is not enough. And by its overt and obvious call for water, the other plants likewise get water. In other words, awareness of need, awareness of emptiness and call for sustenance (water, in this case) results in life greater than just that of just the one plant.

I wonder if we were more like this plant, in a spiritual sense, if we all wouldn't be better off? In other words, rather than holding out, pretending we didn't need the living water God offers, if we overtly cried out, expressing our deep need... not only would we receive the water we needed, but those around us would also be watered as well.

"come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters" (Isaiah 55:1a)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen, you always have the most amazing insights! and you have done it again. :) and i think this particular insight is profoundly true. I have seen a lot over this past year that communities full of people who are willing to admit their depravity and their need for grace, seem to be the most vibrant and life-giving. And I've also seen that just being around a person who is constantly aware of and often vocal about their need is refreshing and life-giving, too. I will most definitely stand by the truth of this rather amazing analogy of yours. :)

Anonymous said...

Kristen,

I have a plant like that, too! The best part is that when the church staff gave it to me last summer they placed bets on how long it would take me to kill it [school starting, Halloween, Christmas, etc]... amazingly enough, I have outlasted all of their predictions! Ha!

It's none of my doing, of course, and totally the plant's ability to resurrect itself. But I still will take *some* credit at occasionally noticing its brown, wilting leaves, and then dumping a week's worth of water on it...