Sunday, June 21, 2009

DTR...

Last night, I was sitting talking to one of my friends here in Boston...

We were discussing the difficulties of moving and making new friends, and I was telling her that in every stage and location of life, which has been many at this point, I have a different "best" friend(s). At this point, I have many many best friends, from many different stages and locations in life. They're kind of like roll-over minutes... depending on your carrier, sometimes you can keep them from location to location, month to month.

There was a pause, and then she asked the question, "So, who's your best friend here in Boston?"

Another pause, and then I replied, "Well, not to be sentimental, but, it's probably either you or so-and-so."

:: mutual smile::

And another pause, and then she responded, "Yeah, I think you're my best friend here too."

There's something entirely freeing about having that DTR talk, and knowing the other person thinks you're cool too. It was just a small thing, but it made me smile. And just goes to say, DTRs don't have to scary, negative, or strictly romantic. It's always a great thing just to tell the other person that they matter to you, that they are significant to you, and that you think they're super spiffy awesome. And if that ends up with you getting a smooching partner on the other end, double bonus. But if it just results in you and your totally platonic friend feeling mutually encouraged, well, that's a bonus too...

Tell people that they matter. It's important.

No comments: