Thursday, October 29, 2009

Grab bag: of mice, sleep-deprived zombies, and the Phillies

It's been a while...

I have a few serious posts that I've been thinking about, but no time to actually write them, so that will have to wait for another rainy day. In the meantime, just a few things I've been thinking about lately.

- Mice match their environment. The mice that run around in the grime of the T tracks are different in color from those that run around in my apartment, as a result of their environment. I wonder if that's true for humans as well: our hues and personalities are colored by our surroundings.

- On cold days, people in the city tend to be less friendly that usual when outside, and more friendly that usual when inside.

- It is astonishing to me how many people in Boston are rooting for the Phillies in this World Series. It seems that hatred of one thing unites people to another thing. I wonder if this is also true in other areas of life. And I wonder if this is a good thing... or not.

- October is the month in which students decide that their lives are over, fear of failure sets in, sleep deprivation sets in, tests become more frequent, sickness more prevalent, and grouchy sick zombies start to walk the campus. By December, life returns to normal. This happens every October. I wonder how things would change, if we could hold perspective by remembering from the year prior? I wonder, on a larger scale, how much more hope we would have, if we held longer term memory in general...

2 comments:

Jen said...

Can't wait to see the serious posts, but I have to admit loving the randomness...

Love,

One Grouchy Sleepy-Sick Zombie Trying to Keep it All in Perspective

Carolyn said...

I think both hatred and fear are terribly effective uniters of people...history has shown us that in more serious ways than the world series...(although i'm sure that to Boston fans, the phillies beating the yanks is considered quite serious business)
Loving the randomness too and will await more serious ponderings from a dear friend.