Saturday, February 9, 2008

Resting

Sometimes, I think God knows that I don't pay much attention to large billboard messages that I need to rest. I'm often cruising along at 70-80 miles an hour, barely noticing the scenery, and never stopping on the scenic overpasses. In fact, I only remember one time that I actually stopped on one of those... it was distinct enough to be memorable. But that being a side note...

The point being, I barrel through life with hardly a moment's rest... and God often has to use more drastic measures to get my attention.

Enter: the flu.

Despite every part of my body aching, nose running, and temperatures oscillating, until this morning, I attempted to persuade myself that it was merely allergies. Around 1:44pm, my body finally let me in on the memo that in fact this was the flu, and it would really prefer not to be up or active. I participated in a phenomena known as "Crash and Burn."

And yet, every part of me wants to rebel. There is laundry to be done, a talk to write, emails to send, fun to be had, and vacuuming, yes vacuuming, to be done.

I've been reading "The Spiritual Disciplines Handbook" (Calhoun) lately, for part of my quiet time... and a few days ago, I hit the chapter on observing Sabbath, as a method of worship. The opening quote says,

"Sabbath is not dependent upon our readiness to stop. We do not stop when we are finished. We do not stop when we complete our phone calls, finish our project, get through this stack of messages, or get out this report that is due tomorrow. We stop because it is time to stop."(Wayne Muller)

As I read that again today, I was struck by this idea that rest is worship. That rest is designed. And that rest is something that I need more of. Calhoun goes on to say,

"Rhythmically, the sabbath reminds us that we belong to the worldwide family of God. We are citizens of another kingdom-- a kingdom not ruled by the clock and the tyranny of the urgent. God's sabbath reality calls us to trust that the Creator can manage all that concerns us in this world as we settle into his rest."

In other words, God designed us to need rest. To rest in his ability to manage the dragons of our lives. To rest in the fact that He is sovereign. To enjoy His presence in peace and quiet. Sabbath is not about rules, regulations, or forbidden behaviors, but about God calling us to rest in His presence. Quite simply put, rest is an act of worship, dwelling in the presence of I Am, and freely admitting that we need Him. It is arrogant and foolish for us (read: me) to strive to be God, to fail to rest, to depend so entirely on my ability to do that I forget what it means merely to be.

And yes, God can even use the flu as a method of communicating that lesson to a very stubborn daughter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better!! SLEEEEEP.