Thursday, August 14, 2008

Basking in Being Small

Just got back from 5 days at New England regional staff conference and am attempting to process all my thoughts on vision, direction, mission, core conglomerates, definitions, theories, structures, remembering the names of the 10 gazillion people that I meet, and oh yeah, what figuring out what I'm supposed to do next... And, at times, it can feel a tad bit overwhelming. Okay, a lot overwhelming. There is so much that needs to be done and so little time to do it all. The perfectionist, achievementalist, realist in me is attempting to bungee jump off of the precipice that it feels like I am quickly approaching...

After regionals, some new friends and I went on a hike up Mount Monadnock, the most hiked mountain in the USA... this is one of the pictures that we took:



But as I looked at this gorgeous picture, what struck me most was how incredibly small we appeared (I'm the dot on the left). Next to the mountains, we were nothing. Scripture says similar things about the mountains' size compared to God:

The mountains quaked before the LORD, the One of Sinai, before the LORD, the God of Israel. (Judges 5:5)

Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. (Psalm 90:2)

And in that moment, I realized, it's ok to be small. It's ok to be weak. It's ok to be inept. Because God is a big God. And He is bigger, stronger, and much more able than anything else that I will ever face. And when he is with us, there is nothing to fear.

2 comments:

fiercest said...

that is one gorgeous photo, kristen.

i've been telling your bathroom debate story. because i miss you.

e. said...

Thanks for that reminder, KG. I always come away challenged by something that you've written here. I still think that you need to write a book! :)
Wish you were closer, but I am so thankful that God has placed you in the city of Boston!! I am thrilled to see how He uses you there, as He is and has been so faithful in your life! Love you bunches!