Monday, October 6, 2008

Apple Cinnamon



This past weekend, some friends and I went apple picking in Vermont because we had a hankering (that's right folks, I did just use the word "hankering!" Look it up; it is in fact in the dictionary) for homemade apple pie... it was a fantastic time; I even took the time to perfect my apple pitching ability... and no, we did not eat any worms!

As a result of said apple picking, however, I have found myself up to the elbows in apples for the last day and a half... apple pie, apple butter, apple sauce, raw apples, etc etc... and yesterday, as I was pealing roughly ten gazillion apples, I had a moment of waxing nostalgia to the scent of apples and cinnamon. My mom would always flavor our house with apple cinnamon before company came over. It was her way of providing a welcoming atmosphere...

In fact, I was telling my roommate, one of the things that I really value about my mom is her attention to and appreciation for the little things in life. So, in honor of her, I wanted to take a moment to comment on a few of the little things in life that I appreciate, or that mean something to me...
  • I am grateful for the mornings when my roommate makes the coffee for us...
  • I love it when my house smells good when I walk in...
  • I love it when students ask how I'm doing and wait for an answer
  • I love it when strangers smile at me in non-creepy ways
  • I love it when people put up quotes in their bathrooms, so you have something to read while taking care of business
  • I love watching my dying plants perk up when I actually remember to water them
  • I love the smell of apple cinnamon... or lavender and vanilla
  • I love seeing my breath when I walk outside on a cold morning
  • I love love love the moment when you realize that a stranger has become a friend!
What do you appreciate in life? What makes you smile?

No comments: