Saturday, October 11, 2008

Step out of the Crowd (IV)

BUT here’s the good news for you…

Relationship with Jesus is life transforming

A few weeks ago, we talked about this picture of Jesus coming to restore, to make all things new… and that that is the picture of the kingdom coming! And the truth for us is that the restoration of all things begins with a restoration of our relationship with God.

Jesus, in perfect relationship with God the Father, came to restore our relationship with God by perfectly living in relationship with God, perfectly fulfilling the law (like we talked about last week) and in the last moments, laying himself DOWN, placing God first above all else.

Where we chose narcissism (self-love), at the crucial moment, Jesus chose God-worship, to restore our relationship with God once and for all. And he invites us into that freedom and that restoration, of all things made new, restored to the wholeness that God intended.

And in the same that broken relationship trickled down to every aspect of our existence, relationship renewed also trickles down to every aspect of our existence.

The final picture of the fullness of this, is found in Revelation 21:3-5:

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

For each individual in the story, when they engage with Jesus, their lives are transformed And the same is true for you today: relationship with Jesus will transform your life! Jesus spoke to each individual in the story… and perhaps his words to them are the same words that you need to hear today.

Jesus speaks to the woman, and says, “Daughter.” Think of gentleness of those words. Daughter. How long it has been since she has heard a voice of compassion and care. “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.” My child I know you... I see all of your past, all of your sins, and I say to you, by the power of my name, you are free! Go in peace!

Jesus says Jairus, “Don’t be afraid. Just believe.” You might think that I have forgotten you Jairus, but I am still coming to your house. My timing is not your timing. I am on my way. Will you believe that I am capable of what seems impossible to you?

He says to the little girl, “Talitha, Koum!” (Little girl, I say to you, get up!”) Even though you might think it is too late, I tell you it is not! I have the power to make what was dead, alive again. Get up! Will you trust me? Will you put your feet on the floor, and trust me for the rest?

And to the disciples, Jesus’ call is to come with him: to be his messengers; to invite others into a place of freedom, relationship with him. And Jesus’ message is this: I have to make all things new. Will you trust me? Or merely be observers to my power? Never truly engaging in relationship with me?

And his question to you is the same.

No comments: