Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Generosity

I met with a woman and her ten year-old son for lunch last Thursday. I was not expecting any financial support; I was just going to share my story, and ask for prayer support. Lunch was delightful, and I really had a good time! We talked about a great many things, including InterVarsity staff, the need for college ministry, and my passion for the campus.

As I was preparing to leave, the ten year-old disappeared upstairs, saying that he "had something really important to do." He re-appeared minutes later, holding in his hands two bills and four rolls of pennies. He handed it to me, saying, "Kristen, I think it's really important what you want to do on the college campus. I think those college students need to hear about Jesus." He handed me the money, half of his life's savings...

He gave of everything that he had. These are the stones on which I stand... the stories which I get to proclaim. His is one of many. I wept because his generosity and his heart were so beautiful. And they put mine to shame...

Those pennies sit on my desk now, as a daily reminder that even when I feel that I have nothing left to give-- time, money, energy, resources, myself-- God has blessed me abundantly, and there is always enough give. My cup is never empty.

Mark 12: 41-44

"Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

No comments: