Friday, August 24, 2007

sinner, poor, wretched, blind; seriously?

I have been reminded over and over again, as of late, of my own sin and need of grace. And the incredible riches which God freely gives, and I can only receive. I do not deny that God has given me gifts, and that He has equipped me to share His love. But in the most base way, I often confuse His gifts to me, as my own independent abilities and self-sufficiency outside of him. I forget my own sinful nature. I claim self-righteousness; self-atonement; self-justification. I found this poem last night, and was struck yet again, of how often I forget the depth of God's grace for me, as I simplify my own sinfulness and "sanitize" it into "not so bad." Read it in light of the wealth of God's grace....

grace, grace, God's grace, given freely
all for me, sinner, poor wretched, blind.

wretched? blind? poor? needy?
me?
seriously?
start from the end, rewind it back...
needy? well, sure i got needs
to eat, to sleep, to breath, to drink
but needy, what does that mean?
can't provide for myself, must depend on others
foreign. strange. true?
i got needs that i cannot fill?
love? community? unity? laughter?
self-reliance indestructible
first thing you gotta do is admit
yes, i have needs; i cannot fill.

poor? certainly not rich, not sure in the sticks.
i got clothes on my back, food to eat
family to love, truth to share
gifts to offer, sure
only
you see, everything's a little bit broken.
my family intact but broken,
food plenty, but my soul still hungerin'
ain't nothing to fill that hole.
and truth to share, but it's never enough
no matter how much, still pain
i cannot heal.
and my gifts, well they're a little bit
broken too; lots of holes, gaps.
like the knees of my jeans, worn through
never enough.
i reckon I'll never make enough, be enough
to cover the cost of the cross to fill 'em up.

yet but certainly not blind.
my vision's just fine, see
all around me, people mingling
happy, sad, joyful, mourning, needy.
needy, even I know what to do.
food? water, bandages, aid?
i can do.
oh wait? their souls? something more?
here, neighbor, let me fix your lens.
see, i think you're missing Jesus.
me, why yes, my lucky rabbit food
and Jesus right beside?
my eye, you say? oh, no need.
i see quite well around my blinders.
see the people like Jesus does?
let alone see Jesus' love for me?
not quite so 20-20.

ah, then if this refrain is true thus far,
then the last part first I have no doubt
is true:
for if indeed i am needy, poor, blind
then indeed i am wretched. sinner.
for all along i masquerade
as able, wealthy, seeing
all the while, shunning my Savior.
ah, woe is me. i am despised.
yet
in my place, He stands, hands outstretched:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy laden
for I have rest for your souls...
I have come not to save the saint, but the sinner."

only by grace can we enter. only by grace can we stand.

-- anonymous

1 comment:

Tsega said...

that was beautiful kristen...thank you