Sunday, August 19, 2007

prayer for every day

Father, today I am poor in spirit.
Today I forgot who was God.

I considered myself and my passions and needs of greater worth than you.
I said one thing, but did another.
I even considered my work for YOU to be of greater importance than you yourself.
I was distracted by small things, myself included.
And most of all, I forgot to say thank you for everything you have done and are doing.
Possibly because I wasn't looking for your blessings; I was too busy complaining about your timing, your methods, and how much better I would be at managing the world, if I were God.

I was outwardly pious, but inwardly impoverished.
Please show me your kingdom.
I have no wealth of my own to offer, save your blood, and my salvation therein.
Show me your kingdom. My hands are empty and I bring nothing of my own to the table.
I am hungry, Lord.
I am poor in spirit.
And while it hurts to say those words, I know their truth.
Show me your kingdom. For it is built by your hands, not mine.
Use me as your tool.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God." Matt. 5:3

1 comment:

Amy said...

Such a beautiful prayer, Kristen--one that I need to pray as well! Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and can relate to the things you've said. It is good that we're in this together, yes?