Monday, July 28, 2008

American Savior... er, President?

For those of you who might find yourselves in a comatose state, temporarily stationed on Antarctica, or on holiday 300 leagues below the sea, let me give you startling news: it is an American Presidential election year! For everyone else, well, you already knew that.

And the political science major in me rejoices greatly.

Simultaneously, I both love and abhor politics: I think it's fascinating how our political systems work. I think politicians are full of hot air (and I don't mean the helium kind). I think the idea of real change is beautiful. I think reform is far too often just a code word for "I want your vote" with no more meat than a skinny squirrel during a famine. I think Republicans and Democrats (or at least their policies) are far more similar than they admit. I love the ridiculousness of third-party candidates. But at the same time, I find them strangely refreshing because they run with true heart and real agenda for change, even if they have less hope of surviving than a NC snowball in July.

But the one thing that repeatedly gets me in American politics is that, despite official "separation of church and state," both sides arrogantly seem to think that they can claim that God uniquely stands on their side. Gott mit uns, no? And, simultaneously, the church, or many of its phalanges, are attempting to see which party will create the most "theocratic" governing body. In other words, which president will be the most Christian? Which will come the closest to establishing a godly government? And while these are noteworthy and noble goals, and a moral government is certainly to be desired, may I politely suggest that I think that the idea of a Christian government misses the point of government?

But, before I'm burned at the stake, defenestrated, or led to the gallows, allow me to explain.

Most of us think that the separation of church and state came from the first amendment, coined into a phrase in 1802 by Thomas Jefferson, established by the Supreme Court in subsequent cases. The truth, however, is that that separation came much earlier.

1 Samuel 8 begins with Samuel and his sons, the appointed religious leaders of the day. At that time, the nation of Israel had no separation between religious institution and governing political body. The priests, the judges, and the prophets ruled, with God as the recognized king. The rulers, as religious authorities, had political power, because they recognized God as their king (modern equivalent, president, cabinet, etc). But the people begin to get antsy, and they beseech Samuel to give them a king "because everyone else is doing it." (Don't believe me? Read the text.) God's response?

And the LORD told him: "Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you." (1 Samuel 8:7-8)

And from that day forward, we had separation (sometimes partial, but yes separation) between the religious authorities and the governing body. And all the bloody mess that followed.

Here's my point: Until God is recognized as King, we cannot have a unity between religion and politics. We can try (certainly the nation of Israel tried many times, Iran is trying now with Sharia law, England bloody well tried numerous times), but we will not succeed until the king or ruling authority is no longer man, but God. And, like it or not, we are not a nation which recognizes God as King, regardless of our origins. Religion, or godliness, cannot be just another weapon in the politician's arsenal.

Please don't mistake my meaning: I am all for having a president who believes in God, who loves Jesus, and who seeks to lead from Christian values. I think those are good things. But I do not expect the political headship of our nation to bring about the redemption of mankind. And, I think, when we attempt to reunite the church and state, we mistakenly assume that reinstating "God's men (or women)" into office will reinstate God as King.

Politics, or the existence of an elected or appointed ruler, is by definition to claim an authority other than God. Can we recognize politics for what it is, and elect good men or women into power... but recognize that true change, and the coming of the kingdom, will not come through the political office, but has to come through recognition of God as King, and Jesus as Lord and Savior?

Feel free to explain to me why I'm wrong. :-)

2 comments:

Slater said...

dude! i feel really similarly about this. i'm a really big beleiver in the whole 'free will' thing, and it seems that when religious agendas get into politics, regulating personal morality becomes a big deal - but if we regulate personal morality, we don't really come to that morality through free will, so to what extent does it fulfill God's will? i don't know how my theology on that one is, but in general, i'm with you on this a lot - it's not about the government and what it says we can and cannot do because that simply doesn't matter if the people reject the One those regulations come from originally.
now i'm rambling a bit, but hey you, rock on.

Jen said...

Wow! Aside from the amazing metaphors, similes, and wonderful words like "defenestrate," I agree 100%. Man can never be a substitute for God as leader, and legislating morality misses a distinct link in the chain. Morality without an understanding of Jesus' grace is little more than legalism.