Friday, January 23, 2009

Forgive me, oh Lord...

You said,
"Give her your gloves; her hands are cold."
I replied,
"Ah, Lord, what about mine?"

You said,
"Offer to help push his chair; his legs tire."
I replied,
"Ah, Lord, but it's late, and I'm alone."

You said,
"Stop and wipe her tears, sit with her."
I replied,
"But Lord, what about my plans?"

You said,
"Pray in my name, that Satan might flee."
I replied,
"But Jesus, what if she's offended?"

You said,
"Do not give in to fear."
And I quickly replied,
"Lord have you not read these lines?"

I saw your people,
poor, lame, mourning, captive--
And like the religious leaders before my day,
I crossed the road,
and kept walking by...

Have mercy on me; I am a sinful woman,
preferring my own comfort to your calling.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices-- mint, dill, and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law-- justice, mercy, and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former." (Matthew 23:23)

1 comment:

Jen said...

oy. it's so much easier to count grains of spices...

you write so well. thanks!