Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What you can build...

Today marks a big day in history (Even beyond Rick Warren publicly praying Jesus' name).

I don't think that anyone would doubt that.

And in the same way that we of various different ages remember where we were during 9/11, where we were when Kennedy was shot, and the moment that we knew that we had truly fallen in love, I think most of us will remember where we were when President Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States of America.

And despite some cliche and flinching moments in his speech (I'm sorry, the phrase "We will harness of the Sun" made me laugh and have freakish flashbacks to Spiderman movies and "We will not apologize for our way of life" made me grimace and flinch), I have to say, his speech was decently solid. Remember the past. Be realistic of the present. Look toward the future. I appreciated the balanced approach of realism and optimism, remembering the past and looking toward the future, grounding in fact and acknowledgement of feeling, recognition of difference yet call to unity.

If you want more of my thoughts on President Obama look back to my post "Hail to the Lord."

Beyond that, however, I thought the most interesting line of the speech was in regard to the Muslim world, but applicable to all of us as well: "Know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy."

It's profound.

As a people, we are so caught up in destroying. In tearing down. Playing the blame game. In trumping an argument with our own exceptional reason and knowledge. In besting someone else. In coming out as top dog (the presumption being, over someone else).

In an era in which dissatisfaction is far more readily accepted than forgiving faults and upholding praise of accomplishments; in an era of sarcasm, cynicism, intellectual criticism, pundits and politics, it is profound to suggest that rather than blaming someone else, tearing something else down, our highest achievement should be noted as what is built up rather than what is torn down.

And next week (or sooner), when President Obama makes his first mistake of many in office, maybe we should remember that statement. Heck, maybe it would even be helpful as we define the Bush legacy. Or maybe just maybe, it could come in handy in our own lives as well.

"What you can build, not what you destroy."

2 comments:

Jen said...

Dude! I was totally channeling Spider Man on that "harness the sun" line...

lots of anaphora. a bit too much metaphorical fluff in my mind, but I agree, the line about build, not destroy was one of the most powerful moments. I was also pleasantly surprised by the firmness of his comments on terrorism.

Got to admit, on the tie-in to Valley Forge, I thought for a minute he was going to bring in some Richard III ("in this winter of our [hardship/discontent]")... haha

Good post, K.

Whitney said...

that was definitely the phrase that stuck out the most to me as well. along with the fact that he included non-believers in his list of American religions towards the end. i thought that was wisely done.