Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Other people's trash...

Today is recycling day. Even as I speak, I can hear the recycling truck with its annoying yet constant beeping to warn me of its presence. Cans are rattling and bottles are breaking as they are heaved into the large truck by a huge man with burly arms and many colorful tattoos.

But this is not the first time I've heard those cans and bottles rattling today.

In the wee hours of the morning on Wednesdays, around 3am, the homeless men make the rounds of my street, going from recycle bin to recycle bin, pulling out old beer and coke bottles and cans, sometimes sipping the final dregs of a not quite empty bottle. But really, they're not after the beverage. They want the bottles themselves. That will be their income for the day...

At five to ten cents a bottle (return for cash at the supermarket), it takes a lot of bottles to make enough for a meal. Cash from other people's trash. Sustenance for the day.

I wonder what other "trash" I have that could be someone else's livelihood.